Text Resize

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

File a Complaint

The District’s progressive Human Rights Act, and the extensive list of protected classes, makes the nation’s capital an attractive and more livable city since it seeks to eradicate discrimination, and promotes fairness and equality in key areas that impact quality of life: employment, education and housing. A core function of OHR is to investigate individual complaints of discrimination filed with the agency.

How to File a Complaint

To file a complaint with the Office of Human Rights (OHR), simply complete an intake questionnaire and submit it to OHR.  Please select from the list below the intake questionnaire that pertains to your complaint. You may choose to fill out forms online or using the print version. The print version can be sent to ohr.intake@dc.gov or by mailing it to 441 4th Street NW, Suite 570N, Washington, DC 20001. Before completing the intake questionnaire, please review the “Who Can File” section below. 

Once you have completed the questionnaire you may submit the form online, or print to fax, mail or bring it personally to OHR. Submitting this complaint questionnaire does not constitute the formal filing of a discrimination charge, but it serves to preserve all rights under the statute of limitations.  The formal filing will take place when we review your questionnaire and hold an intake interview with you at the OHR Office.”

To file a complaint regarding a violation of the DC Language Access Act of 2004, select the link below, fill out the form, and submit the form online:

Language Access Public Complaint Form   Online

If you believe you were discriminated against by a taxi driver or company while in the District of Columbia, you can file a complaint with both the DC Taxicab Commission and the DC Office of Human Rights by completing the form online:

Taxicab Discrimination Complaint Form      Online

Complaints filed with OHR may go through a 6 step process involving:

  • Step 1 - Intake (The filing of the complaint)
  • Step 2 - Mandatory mediation
  • Step 3 - Investigation
  • Step 4 - Legal Review and Analysis
  • Step 5 - Office Determination and Conclusion

Who Can File a Compliant

You may file a discrimination complaint if you believe you have been discriminated against in employment, housing, public accommodations and educational institutions - including insurance and credit - because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, family responsibilities, disability, familial status, matriculation, marital status, source of income, place of residence or business, and status as a victim of an intrafamily offense.  Other helpful facts include:

  • You do not have to be a District of Columbia resident, but the alleged discrimination must have taken place in the District of Columbia.
  • Your complaint must be filed with OHR within one year of the occurrence or discovery of the alleged act.
  • DC government employees alleging employment discrimination must first consult the EEO counselor in their agency.The EEO counselor has 21 calendar days in which to seek a solution on an informal basis. You may file formal charges with the Office within 15 calendar days of your final interview with the EEO counselor. 
  • Federal employees alleging employment discrimination should consult with the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at www.eeoc.gov.


Contact TTY: