Please be advised that our office will be closed on Monday, July 4, 2016 in observance of Independence Day, which may result in a delay in processing unemployment insurance claims. All initial claims and weekly certifications filed on Saturday, July 2, Sunday, July 3, and Monday, July 4, 2016, will be processed on Tuesday, July 5, 2016. If you have any questions regarding your claim or your weekly certification, please contact our office at (202) 724-7000 during regular business hours from 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM.
Welcome to the DC Department of Employment Services Unemployment Compensation Program. The District offers three ways to file for unemployment compensation – via the Internet, the phone, and in-person. We strongly encourage that customers seeking unemployment benefits do so online for quicker service ; however, you can reach the UI call center at 202-724-7000 or visit any American Job Center located throughout the District. The Office of Unemployment Compensation (OUC), also referred to as Unemployment Insurance (UI) Office, serves claimants and employers of more than 30,000 businesses in and around the District of Columbia. To begin the process of filing for your unemployment benefits, you will need to have the following information readily available:
- Your social security number
- Your most recent 30-day employer’s name, address, phone number and dates of employment
- Your Alien Registration Number, if you are not a US Citizen
- Your DD214, if you are ex-military
- Your Standard Form 8 or Standard Form 50, if you are a former federal employee
- Severance pay information (only applicable if you did or will receive severance pay)
Please note that confidential unemployment compensation information may be requested and utilized for other governmental purposes, including, but not limited to, verification of eligibility under other government programs. This notice is required by 20 C.F.R. § 603.11 – How do States notify claimants and employers about the uses of their information?
- Start Your Unemployment Compensation Process
- Claimant's Rights and Responsibilities Handbook (English, Spanish)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) for Claimants
- Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ's) for Employers
For information regarding the next steps after filing an initial unemployment claim, read the Unemployment Insurance What’s Next
For detailed instructions regarding how to certify for weekly unemployment benefits, read the Instructions for Completing the Weekly Claim Form
For detailed information regarding work search requirements and how to comply, read the Work Search FAQs