10 Things You Should Know About The UI System When Filing Your Claim
Unemployment Insurance provides temporary financial assistance to qualified individuals who meet the eligibility requirements of the District of Columbia. Each person who collects Unemployment Insurance benefits is legally responsible for making sure he or she follows the rules set by the District.
- Accurately Report the Reason You Are Unemployed. Accurately report your reason for separation from your job when you initially file your claim for benefits.
- Report Any Wages You Are Earning. You must report your gross wages for each week you work. Report on all earnings – including part-time or temporary work.
- Register with the District of Columbia Department of Employment Services. Unless in rare cases where someone is exempt by law, you must register with the District of Columbia Department of Employment Services to be eligible to collect UI benefits.
- Be Available for Work. In order to collect benefits, you must continually verify that you are physically able, available and willing to accept suitable work.
- Actively Search for Work. You must search for work each week and have at least 2 job contacts or benefits may be denied.
- Develop an Effective Work Search Plan. Contact the DC Department of Employment Services through one of the Career Centers for help with planning an effective work search.
- Avoid Errors and Ensure Proper Payment of Benefits. To prevent errors that may result in an overpayment, read all of the information provided to you.
- Do not Delay – As Soon As You Begin Working Again, Report Your Return to Work. As soon as you begin working, notify this Agency. Do not wait until you receive your first paycheck.
- Follow the Rules to Prevent Yourself from Committing Fraud. Anyone who collects UI benefits is legally responsible for following the rules. Failure to follow the rules can have serious consequences.
- Know Your Responsibilities and Ask for Help. Navigating through the UI system can be confusing. If you have a question, please contact us for assistance.