One City One Hire is an innovative economic development strategy that serves as a catalyst to jump-start the Mayor's pledge to put all unemployed District residents--in every Ward of the city--back to work.
Department of Employment Services
Monday to Thursday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm | Friday 9:30 am to 4:30 pm
Connect With Us
4058 Minnesota Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20019
Phone: (202) 724-7000
Fax: (202) 673-6993
TTY: (202) 698-4817
What Is Unemployment Insurance Fraud?
If you knowingly collect benefits based on false or inaccurate information that you intentionally provided when you filed your claim, you are committing fraud.
Did you know? If you knowingly collect benefits based on false or inaccurate information that you intentionally provided when you filed your claim, you are committing fraud. Unemployment Insurance fraud is punishable by law and violators could face a number of serious penalties and consequences.
- An individual returns to work but continues to collect UI benefits.
- An individual works a part-time job but does not report his or her earnings to the state, thereby collecting more benefits than he or she is allowed.
- An individual performs temporary work while collecting UI benefits, but does not report the earnings when filing his or her weekly claim.
- An individual holds back information or gives false information to the state UI agency.
- Criminal prosecution
- Penalties and fines
- Forfeiting future income tax refunds
- Ineligibility to collect ui benefits in the future
- New federally imposed penalty for fraudulent overpayments - Effective October 1, 2014
- 10 Things You Should Know When Filing A Claim
- Unemployment Compensation Fraudulent Overpayment Penalty FAQs
- You Must Search for Work
- Common Mistakes Made By UI Claimants
- Claimant's Rights and Responsbilities Handbook (English, Spanish) [PDF]
DETER . DETECT. COLLECT.
One City One Hire - An Employer-Driven Hiring Initiative
Looking for a Job?
The District of Columbia American Job Center can help you find a new job, transition into something new, expand your skills, or even explore a new career. Find a location nearest you.
Start Here to File for Unemployment
Welcome to the DC Department of Employment Services Unemployment Compensation Program. The District offers multiple ways to file for uemployment compensation. Begin here to start the process of filing, reviewing, or just checking the status of your claim for your unemployment benefits.