One City One Hire is an innovative economic development strategy that serves as a catalyst to jump-start the Mayor's pledge to put all unemployed District residents--in every Ward of the city--back to work.
McMillan Sand Filtration Site
The 25-acre former McMillan Reservoir Sand Filtration Site, located a at North Capitol Street and Michigan Avenue, is expected to be redeveloped into a mixed-use project that shall include historic preservation, open space, residential, retail, office, and hotel uses. The District, the selected development team, and the communities surrounding the site are currently working cooperatively to determine the master plan and development program for the site. The goal is to create an architecturally distinct, vibrant, mixed-use development that provides housing, employment, retail, cultural, and recreational opportunities for District residents.
The project will include affordable and workforce housing and 35 percent of the local contracting opportunities will go to Certified Business Enterprises (CBEs). More than half of all new jobs created must be offered to District residents and 20 percent of the development opportunity will be awarded to CBEs.
- Vision McMillan Partners
- Jair Lynch Development Partners,
- The Alexander Company
- Trammell Crow Company
- Pre-Development (2008-2012)
- Phase I Construction and Development (2013-2015)
- Phase II Construction and Development (2016-2018)
- Phase III Construction and Development (2019-2021)
- Open Space
- Development Cost: $700M
- Large new park and public spaces
- Significant preservation of historic water filtration features
- Inclusion of affordable and workforce housing
- Retail space available for local businesses
- Will bring neighborhood-serving retail to the surrounding communities, including grocery store, cafes, financial services, and restaurants.
- LEED designation for select buildings and overall neighborhood