Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone
On July 9, 2014, the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board renewed and modified a moratorium on the issuance of certain alcoholic beverage licenses in the Adams Morgan neighborhood. The new rules are effective immediately on an emergency basis and are subject to final approval from the District of Columbia Council. The current rules are as follows:
- The Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone extends approximately 1,400 feet in all directions from the intersection of Belmont Road and 18th Street, NW.
- No new licenses can be issued for taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
- No nightclub licenses are permitted in the zone.
- No more than 10 licenses issued for taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
- A restaurant holding a license within the zone is prohibited from changing its license class unless there are fewer than 10 taverns and multipurpose facilities within the zone.
- A license holder outside of the zone is not permitted to transfer its license to a location within the zone unless it is a restaurant, hotel or off-premise retailer.
The following are exempt from the terms of the Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone:
- Off-premise retailers (class A and B)
Complete details on the Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone can be reviewed in the Notice of Proposed and Emergency Rules.
A downloadable map of Adams Morgan Moratorium Zone is also available.