One City One Hire is an innovative economic development strategy that serves as a catalyst to jump-start the Mayor's pledge to put all unemployed District residents--in every Ward of the city--back to work.
Household Fires Prepare and Prevent:
At all times:
- NEVER leave lit candles unattended.
- ALWAYS watch or monitor the stove when cooking.
- ALWAYS keep matches and lighters away from children.
- Install a smoke alarm outside each sleeping area and on each level of your home.
- Check the smoke alarms once a month.
- Replace all smoke alarm batteries at least once a year.
- Replace your smoke alarms every ten years.
- Have one or more fire extinguishers in your home with one in the kitchen.
- Know where the extinguisher is located at your workplace.
- Make sure the fire extinguishers are up-to-date.
- Make sure you know how to properly operate the extinguisher.
- Have several escape routes planned from your home and your workplace.
- Have a meeting place for the household planned in advance.
- Be informed about your workplace plans
Call 911 immediately if you smell smoke or fire.
- If you see smoke or fire in your first escape route, use your second way out.
- If you must exit through smoke, crawl low under the smoke to your exit.
- If the door is cool leave quickly, close door behind you and crawl to an exit.
- If smoke, heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with the door closed. Signal for help using a bright-colored cloth at the window. If there is a telephone in the room, call the fire department and tell them where you are.
- If your clothes catch fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL.
- Once you are out, stay out.
- DO NOT enter a fire-damaged building until authorities say it's okay.
- Check for signs of smoke or heat in case the fire isn't totally out.
- Have an electrician check your household wiring before you turn the power back on and DO NOT try to reconnect any utilities yourself.
For power outages, call Pepco 24-Hour Outage Report Line at 1 (877) 737-2662.
For downed wires, call Pepco immediately at 1 (877) 737-2662 and press 2.