One City One Hire is an innovative economic development strategy that serves as a catalyst to jump-start the Mayor's pledge to put all unemployed District residents--in every Ward of the city--back to work.
Subsidized and Unsubsidized Employment
The ultimate goal of Project Empowerment is to place participants into unsubsidized employment, with the objectives of financial self-sufficiency, a permanent break from negative behavior and career advancement coupled with increased earnings. Participants gain important employability skills through subsidized and un-subsidized employment, educational programs (including Adult Basic Education, GED preparation, vocational skills training and on-the-job pre-apprenticeship training).
DC Residents eligible for Project Empowerment will meet the following requirements:
- 22-54 of age
- DC Resident (must have valid photo ID)
- Currently unemployed
- Not receiving any governmental assistance, such as TANF, SSI, etc (Food Stamps are permissible)
Participates must also demonstrate a substantial need for intensive employment assistance by exhibiting at least three (3) of the following:
- Basic Skills deficiency (determined by CASAS testing score)
- Lack of a secondary education credential (No High School Diploma or GED)
- A documented history of substance abuse
- A history of job cycling (not maintaining steady employment)
- A conviction of a felony and/or previously incarcerated
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Poject Empowerment participates are enrolled in the program on a rolling basis. Potential participates in Project Empowerment are referred directly from the American Job Centers located throughout the District of Columbia.