One City One Hire is an innovative economic development strategy that serves as a catalyst to jump-start the Mayor's pledge to put all unemployed District residents--in every Ward of the city--back to work.
Case Study - Natural Body Spa and Shoppe
2009 Mayor's Environmental Excellence Award Winner:
Outstanding Achievement by a Small Business
Natural Body Spa & Shoppe–West End and all Natural Body shops in the District metro area, have implemented the following environmental practices:
- Compact fluorescent bulbs used throughout space
- Low VOC paint and carpeting
- Water efficient laundry machines
- ENERGY STAR appliances (Arlington refrigerator is not but was purchased used)
- Recycling in spa and encouraged at home
- Programmable thermostats (except RTU2 in Potomac)
- Power and water are sub metered (except water in Arlington)
- Long term leases of 10+ years
- Earth-friendly cleaning products used
- Within walking distance of Metro /Public transportation (except Ashburn)
- No plastic bags used, all paper bags are made with recycled paper and soy inks
- Spa menus and business cards printed on recycled paper with soy ink
- We use recycled printer paper and purchase the greenest offered for all other office supplies.
- New t-shirts and canvas bags made from organic cotton.
- The majority of products used and sold in the spa are all-natural or organic.
- Encourage staff to be active in the community through DC Cares and other organizations.
- Make monthly donations to local organizations with gift certificates and products.
- Provide free spa services at non-profit events.
Bart Yablonsky and Leslie Henderson