The District of Columbia is committed to addressing climate change by minimizing carbon pollution and increasing the District’s resilience to our changing climate. Sustainable DC establishes goals and targets for responding to climate change, including commitments to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 50% below 2006 levels by 2032 and 80% by 2050
- Advance climate adaptation and preparedness to make the District resilient to future climate change
Climate change initiatives to reduce carbon pollution and prepare for climate impacts are underway across District agencies. DOEE is the primary driver behind climate action planning and tracking progress towards our goals. Key initiatives include:
- Climate Adaptation and Preparedness Planning: assessing the likely impacts of climate change and identifying solutions to make the District more resilient.
- Climate Action Planning: charting the path to reduce emissions 80% by 2050
- Greenhouse Gas Inventories: measuring progress towards minimizing the District’s climate impact