DDOE’s RiverSmart programs help to reduce stormwater runoff that harms the District’s waterways and the Chesapeake Bay. RiverSmart programs provide financial incentives to help District property owners install green infrastructure such as rain barrels, green roofs, rain gardens, permeable pavement, shade trees, and more. These practices allow rainwater to stay on site and soak into the ground, where natural processes help remove pollutants.
No matter how large or small your green infrastructure project is, there is a RiverSmart program for you. Some programs offer a site evaluation and up-front funding, while others provide a rebate or a discount. Read about the programs below to find out which one is right for you.
Explore DDOE’s many RiverSmart programs below.
Incentives to install green infrastructure:
RiverSmart Homes: for single-family residential properties
RiverSmart Communities: for apartment buildings, housing cooperatives, condominiums, house of worship, and locally-owned businesses
RiverSmart Schools: for schools and offers technical support, professional development, field trips to local rivers, community planting events, and assistance with installing outdoor classrooms
RiverSmart Rooftops: (also known as the Green Roof Rebate Program): for all properties that install green roofs
RiverSmart Rebates: for property owners who do not want to wait for a stormwater audit through RiverSmart Homes, want to hire their own contractor, or want to “do-it-yourself” (prior approval required)
- Trees: rebates up to $100 to individuals who purchase and plant trees on private residential or commercial property
- Rain barrels:rebates of $1 per gallon for rain barrels, with a maximum rebate of $500
- Landscaping (rain gardens, impervious surface removal, and permeable pavement): rebates up to $1.25 per square foot of impervious surface treated with landscaping features, with a maximum rebate of $1,200
- RiverSmart Targeted Watersheds, for Bloomingdale, Hickey Run and Alger Park/Hillcrest watersheds - for single-family residential properties and offers increased financial incentives to reduce flooding
Financial benefits for installed green infrastructure:
RiverSmart Rewards: provides a discount of up to 55% off DDOE’s Stormwater Fee and up to 4% off DC Water’s Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge
- Stormwater Retention Credit Trading Program: properties that manage stormwater voluntarily or above the regulatory requirement are eligible to sell Stormwater Retention Credits in an open market
RiverSmart Educational Videos: