Green Zone Internship Program
DDOE’s Green Zone Internship Program offers paid and unpaid, competitive career development opportunities to collegiate, graduate, doctoral and continuing education students currently enrolled in various educational institutions throughout the United States. Interns have a unique opportunity to gain invaluable work experience in environmental research, enforcement and sustainability, and environmental policy and regulation. Participants also participate in hands-on environmental projects such as surveying data related to trash control, energy assistance, efficiency and conservation, and environmental surveys. DDOE interns work with and are mentored by local environmental experts in energy, water, air, and land remediation. Moreover, our interns have direct access to policy makers, who have a direct impact on critical environmental issues, in the nation’s capital and beyond.
DDOE provides five distinct areas through which its internship participants can gain practical work experience:
- Energy. Interns interested in this area are tasked with responsibilities that include, but not limited to, researching financing tools for neighborhood-scale energy efficiency programs; developing incentive programs for green/cool roofs; developing program for solar thermal implementation; conducting research, data collection, and compile and analyze Energy Efficiency and Renewable Programs’ activities; and writing reports.
- Natural Resources. Interns interested in this area are tasked with responsibilities that include, but are not limited to, increasing tree canopy; helping to research and write Chesapeake Bay restoration studies; and researching storm water management.
- Environmental Protection. Interns interested in this area are tasked with responsibilities that include, but not limited to, researching the feasibility of a plastic bag/bottle law; conducting Wetland protection planning; researching best practices of wildlife protection and developing implementation plans for various environmental protection programs.
- Environmental Policy and Sustainability. Interns interested in this area are tasked with responsibilities that include, but not limited to, helping to develop Sustainable DC plan; conduct “Green” training for local businesses; work on Green building benchmarking and climate adaptation/mitigation.
- Green Marketing & Communications. Interns interested in this area are tasked with responsibilities that include, but are not limited to, developing strategic marketing /outreach mechanisms to promote sustainability in the District; organizing press conferences; identifying and communicating news-worthy hooks to pitch to the media; handling social media opportunities; and attending meetings with the city’s top officials.
DDOE’s Green Zone Internship Program is offered each semester season, with an option to renew and students typically work on a part-time (20 hours per week) schedule. Applications to the program are evaluated on a rolling basis. Please see below for eligibility requirements and the application process.
The Green Zone Internship Program Eligibility Requirements:
- Undergraduate, graduate, doctoral or continuing educational students who are currently enrolled, and in good standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher at an accredited U.S. college or university; Enrollment in schools within the District of Columbia is preferred;
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Resident; Residency Preference will be shown to those individuals who reside in the District of Columbia;
- Students from all areas of academic study are welcome to apply; however preference will be shown to those students who are majoring in an environmental field of study and/or policy and business management;
- A cover letter/statement of interest;
- Official copy of school transcript;
- Completed application (DC 2000)
Interns in this program will be expected to fulfill all of their duties and responsibilities. They must comply with DDOE’s policies and procedures and may be subject to a criminal background check and/or drug test.
For More Information please feel free to contact:
The District Department of the Environment (DDOE)
Office of Human Resources
Green Zone Internship Program
1200 First Street, NE, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20002
(202) 535-2600 or (202) 481-3844