One City One Hire is an innovative economic development strategy that serves as a catalyst to jump-start the Mayor's pledge to put all unemployed District residents--in every Ward of the city--back to work.
Leading by Example
As a resource consumer and employer of more than 34,000 people, the Government of the District of Columbia has the opportunity to make a substantial difference in improving our environment, both locally and globally. Through the Mayor's Green Team and individual agency efforts, the District is taking action on reducing and reshaping its consumption and incorporating sustainable practices into its operations.
- The District Government owns 127 facilities and leases an additional 79.
- The District Government is currently undergoing energy audits of all its facilities to identify opportunities for greater efficiency.
- Green roofs were recently installed at District facilities at Judiciary Square and the Reeves Center.
- The District plants more than 4,000 street trees each planting season.
- DC Installed More Green Roofs in 2011 Than Anyone Else (DCist)
- Spotlight on Lead
- DDOE Receives the Lead Star Award
- Trapping Trash Before It Gets To The Anacostia - WAMU
Money from D.C.'s bag tax is being put to good use; the District has deployed several giant skimmers to help collect trash in the area's waterways.
- Bioretention Cells at DDOE's Headquarters
Leading by Example Resources:
- Take Action at Work: An EPA guide to how to help the environment within an office setting.
- Department of Public Works Fleet Management Administration: Learn about how the District is incorporating Alternative Fuel Vehicles into its municipal fleet.
- Energy Reduction in District Facilities: The Department of General Services has information on measures that OPM is taking to conserve energy and lower District government utility costs.
- District's Energy Conservation Guide [PDF]: A guide by the Department of General Services (formerly the Department of Real Estate Services) to sustainable measures that can be taken within District facilities.