Department of Employment Services

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Register as a Hazardous Waste Generator

According to DDOE regulations, facilities generating Hazardous Waste, Universal Waste, or used oil must register for an EPA ID number.. An annual fee is also required under DC law.

You will need to send one completed form and one fee for each address that generates universal and/or hazardous waste. All checks must be made out to “DC Treasurer.” We cannot accept credit cards at this time.

The fees are as follows:

  • Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators: $200
  • Small Quantity Generators: $500
  • Large Quantity Generators: $1,000

Each of these categories is defined within the regulations. Please mail the completed form and your check to:

District Department of the Environment
Hazardous Waste Branch
1200 First Street, NE, 5th floor
Washington, DC 20002

If you prefer to drop off your application and fee in person, or if you have any questions regarding the registration process please contact:

- Victoria North - (202) 535-1909
- Lawrence Williams - (202) 535-2298
- Jan Walwyn - (202) 671-5120

Typical Businesses That May Generate Hazardous Waste

Business How Waste is Generated Types of Waste
Property Management Routine maintenance Fluorescent light bulbs
Vehicle Maintenance and Dismantling Repair and Body Shops Degreasing, rust removal, paint preparation, spray guns, tank cleanout, vehicle servicing, vehicle recycling Acids/bases, solvents, ignitable waste, paints, batteries, heavy metals, mercury switches
Dry Cleaning and Laundry Commercial dry cleaning Spent filter cartridges, solvents, residues from cleaning units
Printing Plate preparation, screen printing, photo processing, printing, cleanup Acids/bases, heavy metals, solvents, ink
Photo Finishing Photo processing Acids/bases, silver, solvents
Pesticide Users Pesticide application and cleanup Unused pesticide, contaminated containers
Educational Institutions Metal/woodworking, laboratory wastes, automobile servicing, photo processing, routine maintenance Acids/bases, paint wastes, fluorescent bulbs, solvents, ignitable waste
Hospitals and Clinics Medical care, routine maintenance Medical wastes, fluorescent bulbs, solvents
Construction Painting, carpentry, vehicle and equipment maintenance Ignitable waste, solvent waste, acids/bases, used oil

Service Contact: 
Hazardous Waste Division
Contact Phone: 
(202) 535-2290
Contact TTY: 
Contact Suite #: 
5th Floor