RiverSmart Homes Defined
This District-wide program offers incentives to homeowners interested in reducing stormwater runoff from their properties. Homeowners receive up to $1,200 to adopt one or more of the following landscape enhancements:
Benefits of RiverSmart Homes to the Homeowner
RiverSmart Homes landscaping enhancements can provide numerous benefits to homeowners, such as:
- Beautifully landscaped properties
- Cost savings on water, electricity
- and lawn-mower fuel and oil
- Reduced heating and cooling bills
- Less time devoted to lawn-care,
- resulting in extra time to relax
- Reduced stress and better health
- Higher property values.
Benefits of RiverSmart Homes to the District
New development and large renovations of properties in the District are required to have items that reduce stormwater runoff. Unfortunately, most of the District was built before modern methods for controlling and treating stormwater were developed. Chances are you do not have any stormwater control measures on your property.
RiverSmart Homes provides incentives to beautify your property and benefit the District’s environment by:
- Minimizing the use of herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers used in conventional landscaping
- Stabilizing soils, helping to prevent erosion
- Providing increased habitat for native wildlife
- Reducing air pollution and the urban heat island effect
- Treating and infiltrating stormwater on site helping to recharge groundwater levels
- Diminishing the impact on aquatic life from polluted stormwater rushing to local streams during storm events.
How to Become a RiverSmart Homeowner
Schedule the District Department of the Environment (DDOE) to come out to your property to perform an analysis of what changes you can make to reduce stormwater runoff. Simply fill out an online application. Learn more about Becoming a RiverSmart Homeowner.
Want to Reduce Stormwater Runoff From Your Yard? RiverSmart Homes Can Help.