The Administrative Hearings Division (AHD) conducts formal administrative hearings under two workers’ compensation benefit programs:
- DC Workers' Compensation Act of 1979, as amended, DC Code §32-1501 et seq. (private sector)
- Subchapter XXIV of the DC Government Comprehensive Merit Personnel Act of 1978, as amended, DC Code §1-623.1 et seq. (public sector)
A party wishing to file an application for formal hearing to determine their rights or liability regarding benefits under private or public sector compensation laws must file an original Application for Formal Hearing with the AHD and send a copy to the opposing party. Upon receipt of an application for a formal hearing, a Scheduling Order will be issued to the parties that sets forth the date of the formal hearing, as well as the deadlines related to the proceeding. Failure of a party to comply with the Scheduling Order may be grounds for dismissal of the Application for Formal Hearing.
Formal Hearings are governed by DC Code Ann. §32-1501 et seq. (private sector) and DC Code Ann. §1-623.1 et seq. (public sector), and the implementing regulations found in Title 7 of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations, and are conducted consistent with the Administrative Procedures Act, as amended, DC Code Ann. §2-501 et seq., and the DC Superior Court Rules of Civil Procedure. At the conclusion of the proceeding, the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) thoroughly reviews the documentary and testimonial evidence in the record and issues a written decision. After a decision has become final, the ALJ may be required to rule on requests for the award of an attorney's fee or a supplementary order declaring default.
If a party is dissatisfied with a Compensation Order issued by AHD, they may file a request for review with the Office of Hearings and Adjudication/Compensation Review Board. Further appeals, if any, are taken to the D.C. Court of Appeals.
Visit the FAQs page for more information about the Hearings and Adjudication process.
Download forms necessary in Private Sector Adjudication
- Select the following link to the Private Sector Application for Formal Hearing
- Select the following link to the Private Sector Stipulation Form
- Select the following link to the Private Sector Joint Pre-Hearing Statement Form
Download forms necessary in Public Sector Adjudication
- Select the following link to the Public Sector Application for Formal Hearing
- Select the following link to the Public Sector Joint Pre-Hearing Order
Download policy on Attorney Fees
- Select the following link to the Policy on Attorney Fees in DC Workers’ Compensation Cases (May 12, 2005)
To locate an Adjudication Hearing Decision Compensation Order or to initiate an Adjudication Hearing Decision Search:
- Select the following link to locate an Adjudication Hearing Decisions
- Select the following link to initiate an Adjudication Hearing Decision Search
Visit the FAQs page for more information about the Hearing and Adjudication process, or contact:
DC Department of Employment Services
Labor Standards Bureau
Office of Hearings and Adjudication
Administrative Hearings Division
4058 Minnesota Avenue, NE, Suite 440
Washington, DC 20019
Phone: (202) 671-2233
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 5 pm