Department of Employment Services

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Trade Adjustment Assistance

To obtain Trade Adjustment Assistance reemployment services and benefits, a group of workers must first file a petition with the US Department of Labor's Trade Adjustment Assistance Program (TAA) requesting certification as workers adversely affected by foreign trade.

Petitioners may request assistance in preparing the petition at their local American Job Center. Petitioners may also contact the US Department of Labor in Washington, DC at (202) 693-3560 or 1 (888) 365-6822.

If you choose to file a petition on behalf of workers at more than one location, please contact the Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance at the numbers above.

Program Application Dates

Workers who become totally or partially separated from employment on or after the petition date through two years from the date of certification, and all workers in a group threatened with total or partial separation from employment on the date of certification through two years from the date of certification, are eligible to apply for TAA assistance

Program Details

Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) offers a variety of benefits and services to eligible workers including the following:

  • job training
  • income support
  • job search and relocation allowances
  • a wage supplement to certain reemployed trade-affected workers 50 years of age and older

Eligibility Requirements

Once a complete petition is filed, the Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance (OTAA) initiates an investigation to determine whether a group of workers meets the group eligibility requirements. If the worker group meets the group eligibility criteria, a group eligibility certification will be issued. This certifies that the workers of the group are eligible to apply for Trade Adjustment Assistance benefits.

How To Apply

Application Deadline: There are specific deadlines for applying for and enrolling in TAA benefits and services. For information regarding meeting these eligibility requirements, immediately after filing your TAA claim, you should contact your local American Job Center or send an email to the

After a group certification is issued, each worker in the group must then individually apply for services and benefits through their local American Job Center. TAA case managers at the American Job Centers will issue a determination of the workers' individual eligibility for TAA benefits.

For more information, call (202) 698-5700.

Contact TTY: