The Department of Employment Services and the THE AMERICAN JOB CENTERS will be closed on Friday, September 23, 2016, for staff training. The agency will re-open on Monday, September 26, 2016 at 8:30 am.
We invite you to visit our website does.dc.gov for 24-hour agency information.
El Departamento de Servicios de Empleo estará cerrado el Viernes, 23 de septiembre 2016 para entrenamiento del personal. La agencia reabrirá el lunes 26 de septiembre 2016 a las 8:30 am.
Los invitamos a visitar nuestro sitio de web does.dc.gov para información de la agencia las 24 horas.
Welcome to the DC Department of Employment Services Unemployment Compensation Program. The District offers two ways to file for unemployment compensation – via the Internet and the phone. We strongly encourage that customers seeking unemployment benefits do so online for quicker service; however, you can reach the UI call center at 202-724-7000. The Office of Unemployment Compensation (OUC), also referred to as Unemployment Insurance (UI) Office, serves claimants and employers of more than 30,000 businesses in and around the District of Columbia. To begin the process of filing for your unemployment benefits, you will need to have the following information readily available:
- Your social security number
- Your most recent 30-day employer’s name(s), address(es), phone number(s) and dates of employment
- Your DD214, if you are ex-military
- Your Standard Form 8 or Standard Form 50, if you are a former federal employee
- Severance pay information (only applicable if you did or will receive severance pay)
- Your Alien Registration Number, if you are not a US Citizen
Please note that confidential unemployment compensation information may be requested and utilized for other governmental purposes, including, but not limited to, verification of eligibility under other government programs. This notice is required by 20 C.F.R. § 603.11 – How do States notify claimants and employers about the uses of their information?
- Start Your Unemployment Compensation Process
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) for Claimants
- Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ's) for Employers
For information regarding the next steps after filing an initial unemployment claim, read the Unemployment Insurance What’s Next
For detailed instructions regarding how to certify for weekly unemployment benefits, read the Instructions for Completing the Continued Claim Form
For detailed information regarding work search requirements and how to comply, read the Work Search FAQs