The Department of Employment Services and the American Job Centers will be closed on Monday, November 11, 2019, for Veteran’s Day.
DOES and the American Job Centers will resume their regular schedule on Tuesday, November 12, 2019, at 8:30 am.
We invite you to visit our website does.dc.gov or dc.gov for 24-hour agency information.
Welcome to the DC Department of Employment Services Unemployment Compensation Program. The District offers two ways to file for unemployment compensation – via the Internet and the phone. We strongly encourage that customers seeking unemployment benefits do so online for quicker service; however, you can reach the UI call center at 202-724-7000. The Office of Unemployment Compensation (OUC), also referred to as Unemployment Insurance (UI) Office, serves claimants and employers of more than 30,000 businesses in and around the District of Columbia. To begin the process of filing for your unemployment benefits, you will need to have the following information readily available:
- Your social security number
- Your most recent 30-day employer’s name(s), address(es), phone number(s) and dates of employment
- Your DD214, if you are ex-military
- Your Standard Form 8 or Standard Form 50, if you are a former federal employee
- Severance pay information (only applicable if you did or will receive severance pay)
- Your Alien Registration Number, if you are not a US Citizen
Please note that confidential unemployment compensation information may be requested and utilized for other governmental purposes, including, but not limited to, verification of eligibility under other government programs. This notice is required by 20 C.F.R. § 603.11 – How do States notify claimants and employers about the uses of their information?
- Start Your Unemployment Compensation Process
- Frequently Ask Questions (FAQ's) for Employers
- UI Virtual Classroom
Federal Government Post-Shutdown Documents
For information regarding the next steps after filing an initial unemployment claim, read the Unemployment Insurance What’s Next
For detailed instructions regarding how to certify for weekly unemployment benefits, read the Instructions for Completing the Continued Claim Form
For detailed information regarding work search requirements and how to comply, read the Work Search FAQs