- MBSYEP 2016 Eligibility Document Checklist 14- 21 Year Olds
- MBSYEP 2016 Eligibility Document Checklist 22-24 Year Olds
- MBSYEP 2016 Important Dates
MBSYEP 2016 Translated Eligibility Documents
- Spanish MBSYEP 2016 Eligibility Document Checklist 14-21 Year Olds
- Spanish MBSYEP 2016 Eligibility Document Checklist 22-24 Year Olds
The Mayor Marion S. Barry Summer Youth Employment Program (MBSYEP) is a locally funded initiative sponsored by the Department of Employment Services (DOES) that provides District youth ages 14 to 24 with enriching and constructive summer work experiences through subsidized placements in the private and government sectors. Mayor Bowser signed the Mayor's Order 2015-037 on January 14, 2015 to rename the program the Mayor Marion S. Barry Summer Youth Employment Program in honor of former Mayor and SYEP founder Marion Barry.
Through MBSYEP, we strive to provide young people with the opportunity to:
- Earn money and gain meaningful work experience;
- Learn and develop the skills, attitudes, and commitment necessary to succeed in today’s world of work;
- Gain exposure to various exciting career industries; and,
- Interact with dynamic working professionals in a positive work environment.
Though MBSYEP is a short-term employment and training program, our goal is to introduce our youth to employers who will positively impact their futures.
Employers in the Washington, DC metropolitan area make this annual program possible by volunteering to serve as Host Employers and providing structured job opportunities for youth during the summer.
MBSYEP 2016 will begin on Monday, June 27, 2016 and will end on Friday, August 5, 2016.
The six-week program consists of 29 days of work (Monday, July 4, 2016 is observed as a holiday and youth will not be paid for this day).
This year, MBSYEP will provide the first 12,000 District youth ages 14-24, who apply and certify by Saturday, March 19, 2016, the opportunity to participate in a paid six-week summer work experience.