The District of Columbia Department of Employment Services (DOES) Office of Youth Programs, in partnership with the Education Committee of the Government Finance Officers Association – Washington Metropolitan Area (GFOA-WMA), is pleased to announce the Abdool S. Akhran Scholarship Program for graduating high school seniors.
Four students will be selected and each will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
Applications for the Abdool S. Akhran Scholarship Program for graduating high school seniors must be submitted online. To access the application, click here or go to
- Application Deadline: The completed and signed application that includes required transcript and letters of recommendation must be submitted by Friday, September 28, 2018.
- Award Notification: Finalists will be notified by Friday, October 26, 2018.
- Awards Ceremony: The scholarship finalist will be invited to attend the GFOA-WMA annual meeting in November to be presented with a certificate and award.
- Disbursement of Funds: The scholarship funds will be paid directly to the accredited post-secondary institution in the recipients' name.
Candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Be a high school senior graduating in 2019
- Apply and be accepted into an accredited two or four-year college or university as a full-time, first year student in Fall 2019
The following documents must be submitted as attachments, along with the completed and signed application, to [email protected]:
- High School Transcript, signed and stamped with official school seal (must list the student’s cumulative grade point average)
- Signed Letter of Recommendation from current high school principal, counselor or academic teacher or advisor (the recommender must also email the letter directly to [email protected])
- Signed Letter of Recommendation from an official or authorized representative of an organization verifying current community service evolvement (the recommender must also email the letter directly to [email protected])
- Typed Autobiographical Essay on proposed academic and career goals, community service evolvement, why the scholarship is important to you and how you will benefit if awarded the scholarship
IMPORTANT - Completed scholarship application must be signed by the student, and the email submission must have all required documents attached. Unsigned and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Abdool S. Akhran Scholarship recipients agree that the scholarship will be paid directly to the education institution and will be used specifically for the purpose of educational expenses, college financial assistance, training and equipment cost, or support of post-secondary activities in accordance with the scholarship participation agreement.