Paid Family Leave is coming to the District of Columbia in July 2020
The mission of the Office of Paid Family Leave (OPFL) is to plan, develop, and administer a paid leave program for the District of Columbia under the provisions of the Universal Paid Leave Amendment Act of 2016.
The District of Columbia is implementing paid family leave so you don’t have to choose between caring for yourself or your loved ones and your job security. The Paid Leave Act provides up to:
- 8 weeks to bond with a new child
- 6 weeks to care for a family member with a serious health condition
- 2 weeks to care for your own serious health condition
On July 1, 2019, the District will begin the collection of taxes from employers and on July 1, 2020, the District will begin administering paid leave benefits.
About the DC Office of Paid Family Leave
The DC Office of Paid Family Leave (OPFL) at the DC Department of Employment Services (DOES) is working with employers and residents to support the implementation of Paid Family Leave and to ensure our communities are a meaningful part of the process. More information is available here.
In compliance with labor laws, the Paid Family Leave Employee Notice should be displayed in your worksites with other labor law posters. Click here for the 2020 Paid Family Leave Employee Notice.
The Director of the Department of Employment Services (DOES), pursuant to the authority set forth in the Universal Paid Leave Amendment Act of 2016, effective April 7, 2017 (D.C. Law 21-264; D.C. Official Code §§ 32-541.01 et seq. (2018 Supp.)) (the “Act”), and Mayor’s Order 2018-036, dated March 29, 2018, hereby gives notice of the intent to amend Title 7 (Employment Benefits) of the District of Columbia Municipal Regulations (DCMR) by adding a new Chapter 34 (Paid Leave Contributions). Click here to view the Paid Family Leave Final Tax Regulations.
- Paid Family Leave Q4 FY19 Report
- Paid Family Leave FY20 Q1 Report
- DOES Office of Paid Family Leave Website
- Paid Family Leave Payment Form
- Paid Family Leave Final Tax Regulations
- Paid Family Leave Proposed Tax Regulations Comment Matrix
- Paid Family Leave Benefit Regulations
- Universal Paid Family Leave Amendment Act of 2016
- PFL Self Employed Individual FAQ
- PFL 2019 SEI Registration Form
- PFL Employer Toolkit
- PFL Tax Payment Instructions for Employers
- PFL Tax Payment Instructions for SEI
- PFL Tax Payment Instructions for Small Employer Non ESSP
- Paid Family Leave Quarterly Progress Reports