Department of Employment Services

DC Agency Top Menu

-A +A
Bookmark and Share

Workers' Compensation FAQs - DOES

1.  How do I FILE a claim?

You are required by law to promptly report your injury by filing DCWC Form 7 [PDF], Employee’s Notice of Accidental Injury or Occupational Disease, with your employer and the Office of Workers’ Compensation within thirty (30) days of the date of injury or the date you have knowledge that the injury is related to your job.  In order to preserve your right to workers’ compensation benefits under the law, you must file a written claim on DCWC Form 7A [PDF] , Employee’s Claim Application, within one (1) year after your injury, or within one (1) year after the last payment of benefits.

If you are a District of Columba Government employee who has sustained a work-related injury, contact the Public-Sector Workers’ Compensation Program at the DC Office of Risk Management.  The phone number is (202) 727-8600.

2.  Can I choose my own DOCTOR?

Yes.  You may choose your own physician.  If you are unconscious or badly injured and your employer sends you to a doctor or emergency room, you may still choose your own doctor after you are released.  Once you choose a treating physician you may not change the physician unless you get approval from your employer’s insurance company or the Office of Workers’ Compensation.

3.  How much COMPENSATION is paid to an injured worker?

66 2/3 percent of his/her average weekly wage and 100 percent of the medical expenses are paid.

4.  What is the maximum and minimum COMPENSATION RATE?

As of 1/1/16, the maximum weekly rate is $1,467.46 and the minimum is $366.86.

5.  If my CLAIM is DENIED by the employer or my employer stops paying me benefits and subsequently denies my claim, what do I do?

You can request an informal conference with a claims examiner who will issue an informal conference recommendation within thirty (30) days of the conference date or you can go directly to a formal hearing by filing an Application for Formal Hearing [PDF] with the following:

Administrative Hearing Division
4058 Minnesota Avenue, NE, Fourth Floor
Washington, DC  20019
Phone: (202) 671-2233

6.  Are employers required to have WORKERS’ COMPENSATION INSURANCE in DC?

Yes, if an employer has one (1) or more employees, the employer is required to have workers’ compensation insurance coverage.  An employer is also entitled to apply for self-insurance, but must be approved by this office.

7.  Are homeowners in DC required to have workers’ compensation insurance for DOMESTIC WORKERS?

Yes, if one or more domestic workers are employed for 240 hours or more during any calendar quarter in the same or previous year.

8. Upon receiving knowledge of a job-related injury, what must the employer do?

An employer must file a DCWC Form 8 [PDF], Employer’s First Report of Injury or Occupational Disease, as soon as possible after knowledge of an occupational injury or disease to one of his/her employees, but no later than ten (10) days thereafter. Failure to file this form shall be subject to a civil penalty not to exceed $1,000.00.

9.  If I go to the doctor – who pays the bill?

The self-insured employer or insurance carrier will be responsible for paying medical bills on a compensable claim.

10.  I did not get my unemployment check yet.

This is not the unemployment office; however, you may call the Office of Unemployment Compensation’s main number at (202) 724-7000, if you have questions about your check.

11. Where do I mail the forms – what is the office address?

The office is located at 4058 Minnesota Avenue, NE, Third floor, Washington, DC  20019.   The mailing address can be found on the forms in the top left hand corner.

DC Department of Employment Services
Labor Standards Bureau
Office of Workers' Compensation
4058 Minnesota Avenue N.E., Third Floor
Washington, DC 20019
Phone: (202) 671-1000
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5 pm