Not only can training and education help you get the job you are looking for, but it can also help you earn more. Regardless of your goals for getting additional training and education, experienced Employment Specialists can help you find what you are looking for. Also, they can help you explore your interests and find the training needed to help you get the job you want.
Before a customer is provided an Individual Training Account for Occupational Skills training, the Employment Specialist will determine the customer's eligibility to participate. All recipients of training funds must be eligible based upon criteria established under the Workforce Investment Act and the Department of Employment Services.
The training focuses on high-demand industry sectors, such as information technology, health care, construction, retail, sales and service, and basic literacy and language skills. To find out if you are eligible for occupational training, contact an Employment Specialist at (202) 724-7000.
At DOES, eligible candidates can gain the training and certifications required by local employers. You may be eligible for one of the following:
- Training and certifications through University of the District of Columbia-Community College and other local career schools
- English as a second language classes
- Technology and healthcare training
- Sales and customer service training
- GED, Adult High School Diploma and other continuing education programs
- Apprenticeship programs