The Compensation Review Board (CRB) provides administrative appellate review of Compensation Orders and other final Orders from the Administrative Hearings Division (AHD) and the Office of Workers’ Compensation (OWC).
The CRB is comprised of a Chief Administrative Appeals Judge and four Administrative Appeals Judges. A Review Panel, consisting of three members of the CRB provides administrative appellate review of Compensation Orders and other final Orders from AHD and OWC. Decisions issued by the CRB are formally published.
The following is intended to generally outline the process pertaining to administrative appeals filed with the CRB. Specific information concerning the procedures and requirements of appeals to the CRB can be referenced in DC Code § 32-1501 et seq., § 1-623.01 et seq., and DC Municipal Regulations § 7-100 et seq. and § 7-200 et seq.
- Any aggrieved party may file an Application for Review of a Compensation Order or final decision of the AHD or the OWC. An original and three (3) copies of the Application for Review of the final decision or order must be filed with the CRB within thirty (30) calendar days from the date of issuance of the order being appealed.
- A party may also file an original and three (3) copies of a Memorandum of Points and Authorities in Support of or in Response or Opposition to an Application for Review.
- A party opposing an appeal may file an opposition within fifteen (15) calendar days of the filing date of the Application for Review.
- All documents filed by a party to an appeal must be served upon all opposing parties. After submission of the parties’ memoranda and perfection of the appeal, the case is assigned to a three-judge appellate Review Panel for disposition. The decisions of the Review Panel are based upon the evidence submitted to the AHD or the Office of Workers' Compensation. Generally, the CRB does not accept additional evidence.
- After review and consideration of the Application for Review, all memoranda filed and the evidence, the Review Panel issues a decision on behalf of the CRB based upon a majority vote of the Review Panel.
- The Review Panel may reverse a decision of an Administrative Law Judge under certain limited circumstances. The Review Panel may remand a decision to an Administrative Law Judge for further findings of fact when appropriate. The CRB may affirm decisions summarily without discussion of the issues.
- In cases of broad impact, the CRB, at its discretion, may order en banc review by all five (5) Administrative Appeal Judges, oral argument or both.
- If a party is dissatisfied with a final decision issued by the CRB, the party may file an appeal with the DC Court of Appeals within thirty (30) calendar days of the date the CRB decision is issued.
Compensation Review Board Documents
- Administrative Policy Issuance No. 05-01 (February 5, 2005) concerning the establishment of the Compensation Review Board (2pp) [PDF]
- Policy Directive Regarding the Award of Attorney Fees in D.C. Workers' Compensation Cases, (March 14, 2016) [PDF]
- Regulations Governing Practice and Procedures of the Compensation Review Board (December 23, 2005) [PDF]
Compensation Review Board Decisions and Orders
The link to the Compensation Review Board’s library of dispositions has been suspended. The CRB desires to continue this valued customer service in an improved format in the near future. In the interim, if particular CRB or Director’s Docket decisions are needed, please contact the CRB by email at [email protected] , providing as the names of the parties, the docket number(s) and disposition dates for the decisions being requested, if possible. It would be appreciated if the phrase “Decision Request” is included in the subject line.
CRB Decision Email List
The Compensation Review Board provides an e-mail service to transmit CRB decisions, as well as opinions of the District of Columbia Court of Appeals that are relevant to workers' compensation. Emails will be transmitted on a weekly basis and attach copies of all decisions issued by the CRB and all District of Columbia Court of Appeals opinions that have been received during the prior week.
- If you would like to subscribe to this service, please email the Compensation Review Board using the instructions below:Address an email to: [email protected].
- In the subject line, please add: Subscribe CRB decisions. If the subject line is blank, a SPAM filtering engine will block the email.
- In the body of the email, please add: Subscribe CRB decisions.
- Send the email to [email protected].
- An email reply will be sent to confirm your request and email address.
Department of Employment Services
Labor Standards Bureau
Compensation Review Board
4058 Minnesota Avenue, NE, Fourth Floor
Washington, DC 20019
Phone: (202) 671-1394
Fax: (202) 673-6402